Bathroom Renovation part 1
With no current options for a house, I've been spending the last few weeks working on renovating the bathroom in my condo. The bathroom hasn't been redecorated since probably the 70s and features peeling wallpaper, worn out vanity and cabinets, and beat up molding.
I'm not looking to do renovation for renovation's sake. I don't mind 70s design, but the problem is that I don't think wallpaper can be repaired once it starts peeling off. I tried using some touch-up glue, but it never held for more than a few weeks. The vanity is also falling apart and is made from cheap MDF, so it's no big loss to lose it to the garbage.
My goal will be to rip out the wallpaper, paint, replace the vanity, replace the cabinets and replace the light fixtures. I want to save the mirror and tub. I read up on a few bathroom renovations and it seemed like something I could handle, so I started with ripping out wallpaper. Initially I was thinking I would need a solvent or a steamer, but after giving a few of the peeling edges a tug, I found that all of the wallpaper just peeled off.
After I peeled off the wallpaper, I saw a bit of mold on the walls. I spent the next few sessions scrubbing down the walls with TSP and then priming with a mold-resistant primer. I then removed all of the cabinets, mirror, vanity, and sink.
Next I had electricians install new light fixtures. Nothing special - just some stuff from Home Depot. I then painted the walls and caulked up near the shower. Since I'm on a budget, I checked out Home Depot and Lowes for cheap vanities and cabinets and was lucky to find some discounted. I tried to go with something as classic as I could find at a Home Depot.
I had no problems installing the cabinet above the toilet, but ran into issues with the vanity. I got the plumbing hooked up OK but noticed that my pipes would collide with 1 of the drawers. I had to rip out the rails for the drawer for the pipes to fit and then screwed that drawer shut making it non-functional. Not so bad since there always seems to be a fake drawer on a vanity.
Next when I put the vanity in place, it would lay sit flush against the wall. At this point I called in some back-up and my brother-in-law swung by to install the vanity since he's completed major renovations. He was able to shim and bolt the vanity in so it sat level and flush and then I caulked around it.
I finished off by staining the window sill and applying a matte polyurethane coat to that and then re-used the mirror, but hung it vertically instead of horizontally. I'd still like to change out the floor, baseboards and shower, but it seems a bit much since I have the place on the market for sale and don't want to go too far in case the new owners want to make major changes.