Trying to seal the deal
For the last 2 weeks there's been some back and forth regarding the offer on the Bullcrab property. So far everything has been going OK with everyone agreeing to each other's terms, but we haven't signed any contracts yet. With my previous history, I know not to get confident until the contract is signed and even then, the deal can fall apart.
When I got to work on Monday, I pinged my attorney to let him know I agreed to the seller's latest revisions. He sent the latest letter to the seller's attorney and we now wait for them to sign off. The seller's attorney leaves a voicemail saying everything looks good and he'd follow up later in the day with a signed contract.
Around mid-day no news, but feeling like we're heading towards finalizing. Strangely I get a notification on my phone from Redfin showing that the Jerkinhead house is now back on the market. Hmm, that's interesting. I started thinking if I wanted to run back to my old Jerkinhead flame, but feeling pretty confident that Bullcrab is the one. Jerkinhead is a cute 1920s house, but after learning the history of Bullcrab and also being closer to the beach keeps me happy with where I'm at.
I do email my realtor just to see if the Jerkinhead agent ever reached out to us before they put the house back on the market, since I had previously put an offer in. She writes back that she didn't hear from then, then sends another email that an offer is coming in on Bullcrab and we need to get our contract signed.
We see if the attorneys have hammered out the contract, but still waiting for the seller's attorney to respond. Now it's 5PM and my realtor calls me saying the deal is off - they received another offer higher than mine and now want to have a bid off with highest bidder winning.
I need to think things over and after contimplating it, I push up my offer past the listing price and submit it again - thinking yet another offer is going to slip out of my hands.