This weekend was spent doing more cleaning. We focused on the studio portion of the house because that was the closest to being done. The studio was remodeled in the 2000s so there’s not much original features in this part of the house. That’s fine, since I am thinking of decorating this part of the house in mid-century modern in a nod to Wildwood’s Doo Wop heyday and since there’s not a lot of original molding or plaster, I won’t feel guilty about renovating this in a period inappropriate manner.
I figure this work should be quick an easy since we’re dealing with just 1 main room and a bathroom/closet. Sadly, it took much longer than expected. When you get into the thick of things, what looks like a quick job starts spiraling out as you start uncovering more and more dirt and grime.
One area that got disgusting quickly was seeing lots of dead bugs on the tops of kitchen cabinets. I'm not sure why they all died up there because throughout the rest of the studio there wasn't too many bugs. Maybe there were tons of bugs and they were cleaned up before selling and they missed the tops of the cabinets. Luckily the stove and oven were pretty clean which is where I’d expect to find more bugs.
As I cleaned, I took note of all of the things that would need immediate attention like gunked up shower heads and ripped screen doors. With all the scrubbing, it took us 2 days to knock out 1 studio so that doesn't bode well for the rest of the house and cottage!